Are you finding it challenging to get your website or webpage indexed on Google? As a website owner, it might be a challenging task to gain visibility on search engines. However, when you launch a new website or a new web page, it is crucial to get indexed on Google for visibility. It is the first step towards your increased online presence and better search engine positioning. So how to get Google to index your website?
In this blog, we will try to understand how indexing works.
What is Google’s Index?
Google indexing is a process in which the Google crawler (“Googlebot”) visits any web page or website over the internet to analyse its content and its meaning and stores them in the Google index and ensure to provide the best result of the user’s query.
How to Get Indexed on Search Engines?
Ensure your website is crawlable to search engine bots or crawlers to e indexed on search engines.
Factors to increase your crawlability:
- Your website should have a proper structure
- Pages in the website must be internally linked and also with the main pages
- It should be free of server errors. For example – there should not be any broken link or page not found URLs
- The website should provide access to crawlers by allowing them access to robots file
- Make sure there are no no-follow links, etc.
However, you must know that getting your website crawled is only the first step towards achieving your online success goals. Search engines use various algorithms to conclude if your webpage is suitable for indexing. Although getting indexed does not determine increased traffic to your site. To drive traffic to your website, you will need to rank higher on the search engine result pages (SERPs).
How to Find Out If Your Website is Indexed?
To find out if your website is indexed on Google, follow the below-mentioned ways:
- Use’ site:’ search operator:
- Visit www.google.com
- Type in “site:yourdomain.com”
- Hit Search
From this, you will get to know the number of pages of your website indexed on Google. If you do not see any positive or negative results, it means your website is not indexed.
The second method to check for indexing is:
- Use Search Console:
- Go to search console
- Navigate to the index section
- Click on coverage
You will come to know the number of valid pages indexed
How to Make Google Index Your Website?
Website owners can request Google to index their websites or webpages through the Search Console. It is the simplest way to for indexing your website.
- Visit Google Search Console (GSC)
- Go to the ‘Inspect URL Section’ on top of GSC and enter the URL you want to get indexed.
- It will confirm whether your URL is indexed or not. If not, then you can click on ‘Request Indexing’ to get your URL indexed.
- You can perform this action if you have recently updated the page’s content and you want to index your updated web page on Google.
However, if you want your new website indexed, create an XML sitemap and submit it to Google.
SEO Practices You Require to Follow
However, even if you follow all the above practices, it is not sure you won’t face problems in getting your website or web pages indexed. Therefore, ensure you follow a few below-mentioned SEO best practices:
Optimise your Robots File
The Robots.txt file is the first page in your website that a crawler lands on before moving to other pages for crawling. Therefore, ensure bots can crawl all important pages of your website and are not blocked from crawling.
Meta Robots Tag
Do evaluate your web pages to ensure they are not blocked from crawlers. Therefore, avoid the use of a ‘noindex’ tag on your pages.
Just getting crawled is not enough to be indexed on Google. So optimised your pages with meta titles and descriptions for better crawlability and indexing.
Use of Canonical tags
- If you do not mention a canonical tag for a page, Google sees it as the selected version and indexes it.
- If you define a canonical tag for a page, Google will index the defined canonical URL and not index the version from where it was described.
Hire an SEO Professional for Right Advice
If you are not aware of search engine optimisation(SEO) technical issues, you might end up with more troubles. It is, therefore, recommended that you hire a professional SEO company in Dubai for the best search engine optimisation solutions and better ranking in SERP. If you find it challenging to get your website indexed, increase visibility online or drive quality traffic to your website, then you should partner with an experienced online solution company in Dubai (UAE) that can help your business grow online to achieve your business goals.