Social media has gained immense popularity over the last decade. Facebook managed to grasp the attention of the youngsters to a massive scale ten to fifteen years ago. After that, people, especially teenagers, started to indulge in different social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Tik Tok, and others.
The rise of social media has given birth to a distinguished set of sensations known as social media influencers. Social media influencers can influence the purchasing choices of a specific number and types of people.
In this article, let me educate you on what social media influencers affect the life of the young generation of 2021. But first, let us know what an influencer is.
What Is An Influencer?
The term influencer refers to a particular individual who has precise knowledge or expertise in a specific field to influence the buying decisions of thousands of other people. They actively engage with a specific set of audiences who deliberately follow his/their suggestions regarding specific products or services.
What Is A Social Media Influencer?
A social media influencer is someone who has noticeable popularity on a specific or multiple social media platforms. They have a solid niche platform where they qualify as experts and famous, and they use their popularity and relationship with their followers to influence their buying choices.
Conventional influencers had been affecting the purchasing decisions of millions before social media gained such popularity. The earlier influencers were generally Hollywood celebrities and famous sportspersons.
Who Can be a Social Media Influencer?
But the rise of social media has made the term flexible enough for anyone to call themselves influencers. Now the influencers do not necessarily need to be pre-established movie stars. Just stupid viral content also can create a social media influencer.
Types Of Social Media Influencers
The social media influencers grow on different social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, Youtube, and other social platforms. The types of social media influencers may vary based on their content, the number of followers, and the specific platform they choose to increase their followers on.
There are mega influencers, macro-influencers, nano influencers who have different followers on a specific social media platform. Although there is no set of rules for specific types of influencers, most giant social media influencers tend to be celebrities.
Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Eminem, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Dwayne Johnson are the most famous celebrities. Yet, they reign as much followed social media influencers and make many brands thrive through their religious followers.
The Influence Of Social Media Influencers On Young Generation
- Teenagers or young adults spend hours on diverse social media platforms, which has a prominent effect on their lives. Social media influencers shape the way teenagers nowadays talk, behave, dress, and topics they like to discuss among themselves.
- Teenagers deliberately follow specific social media icons who suggest many things from health routines, eating and dressing habits, to using a particular product of daily necessity. Youngsters follow them religiously because they feel a strong connection with the influencers who constantly respond to them from the other end.
- The rising popularity of social media icons has made a great opportunity for many brands who utilize influencers to do influencer marketing. Famous brands often collaborate with social media influencers to promote their products. They find it very effective as the social media icons are adept at blending the advertisement of different products organically.
- Social media influencers have an indirect way of imposing the standard of life on their followers. The followers, mostly youngsters, coax their parents for the expensive items that their favorite social media stars recommend. The effect is bad in many cases where tension rises between teens and their parents regarding bullying choices.
- Excessive use of social media has an adverse effect on teens. It makes them more self-centric. The irresponsible promotion of unnecessary and harmful products by a social media influencer may push a young adult in the wrong direction.
- The specific set of high standards that the social media influencers often spread among teens create an inferiority complex, materialism, and mental health issues.
- Most social media influencers promote good quality products and honest reviews of certain products that the followers profit from when they decide to make any purchase.
- Some of them also spread positive ideas and perspectives about many social issues and educate people on diverse worldviews and knowledge.
The immense capability of marketing and promoting content and products is the specialty of these social media icons. The question is, to what degree do they use it for beneficial causes, and what are the disadvantages of being a social media influencer? Please share your thoughts on this.